26th September 2020 Aeroboot CANCELLED
We have taken the decision to cancel the Aeroboot /Aerojumble Sale that was due to take place on our Southfield Site on Saturday 26th September, 2020.
This decision has been reached following some detailed in-house discussions; and in response to the legislation changes announced yesterday by the government, who were responding to the increased levels of coronavirus infection around the UK. This cancellation does not affect the museum being open in a Covid-Secure manner - please keep visiting our Gateway Aviation Site.
We had delayed sending out the participation passes to sellers as we tried to design a one-way system around the proposed sale. This was aimed at trying to encourage social distancing, but allowed people to access all sellers fairly. Based on observations at previous outdoor sales, we recognised that this was going to be challenging. One possible solution was that we may have been forced to request sellers did not put up gazebos and awnings; something that was not perhaps ideal for an outdoor sale of this type.
We were planning to use a voluntary listing system to meet our Track and Trace obligations for sellers and buyers attending the sale. However, yesterday’s changes to the Track and Trace legislation, meant that as event organisers the museum would now have a legal obligation to record everyone’s information, or risk a fine. Given the outdoor nature of the event and the challenges of capturing the required information without creating unduly long queues, we realised this was not going to be a viable option.
Furthermore, a review of the locations that some sellers were travelling from indicated that they were likely to be travelling from areas of the country that were already subject to additional coronavirus restrictions already. As such the trustees felt uncomfortable encouraging people to meet up at a special event.
The decision to cancel, was not taken lightly and we do appreciate that this could upset some people. However, many sellers and buyers often travel long distances to attend the event and it was felt necessary to give these people as much notice as possible of our intentions.
At the moment we feel unable to set a revised date for this sale, but the eventual choice will aim not to clash with any other known Aerojumble type event, any other museum event, or any major events on the adjacent Showground. In the fullness of time if anyone is unable to attend on any revised date we will arrange to for a refund.
If you know of anyone who was planning to attend, either as a seller or as a buyer we would be grateful if you could make them aware of the cancellation.
Once again sorry for any inconvenience these changes may cause but we are convinced that it is the right decision.
More updates will be released as and when they are confirmed.